Google+ The Norris Files: Avalanche Peak Arthurs Pass New Zealand

Pages

Avalanche Peak Arthurs Pass New Zealand



An aborted attempt on the summit of Avalanche Peak Arthurs Pass New Zealand. This walk was part of my 2009 NZ trip. Overnight heavy snow falls had carpeted the mountains surrounding Arthus Pass in a white blanket. After checking with the DOC office who said that the climb would be safe to attempt today but there would be thigh deep snow towards the summit of Avalance Peak. However, they mentioned that a group has headed out earlier so they may have post-holed a route for me.


In short the views from the climb was stunning. The snow was melting rapidly on the lower slopes but above the tree line it was still reasonably thick on the ground. Concerned about the last section short steep section onto the summit I turned back at that point, slightly disappointed in failing to reach the summit but not by the extensive views which would not been that much better had I reached the summit.


I will be back to try this climb again sometime. I hope it is after another snow fall as a blanket of snow makes the views that much more special.

No comments:

Post a Comment